a post-op trans woman who is androgynous to pass as anything she wants, does the following:
- presents as femme/andro
- presents as butch/andro
- claims to be DMAB trans*
- claims to be DFAB trans*
and, combine all 4 for a total of 4 options.
she goes to clubs multiple times as one set and the following happens:
when presenting as femme, she is picked up less often
when presenting as butch, she is picked up more often (except when ID’ing as DMAB, is then turned down after coming out)
This demonstrates the privileging of masculinity we see in queer circles
now for the other half:
when claiming to be DMAB trans*, she is almost never invited for hookups after being picked up
when claiming to be DFAB trans*, she is almost always invited for hookups after being picked up
wow transmisogyny and anti-femininity all rolled into one ball
but you know, daring to declare the ways in which trans women are desexualized in queer “women’s” communities, is rape culture
I have literally done this. And it’s completely true.
Was it you and Drew who originally did this before theorizing the Cotton Ceiling?
Yes, definitely. We were and are both in the position of being able to pass as trans men, butch cis women, femme cis women, and femme trans women, and that’s allowed us both to understand how transmisogyny plays out in the valuing of us as potential sexual partners. Any time I am thought of as being a trans man or butch cis woman, I am immediately far more viable as a sexual partner (by both femmes and butches and everyone else). When I am known to be a trans woman, my sexual currency immediately goes down, and it goes down even further if I am perceived to be a femme trans woman.
That’s been my experience — I can’t say that it’s anyone elses, but I think it does point out some interesting things about queer culture and transmisogyny. As a result, I’ve cultivated a particularly androgynous look over the past two years and often worry greatly about expressing overt femininity.
And thus the idea of the cotton ceiling was born. Which was Drew DeVeaux’s concept, though I popularized it with my workshop that was the centre of such controversy (8 trans women, sitting in a room for an hour, talking about our feelings and making art caused the entire internet to freak out!).
That said, my experiences have changed considerably in recent months because I’ve become “gay famous.” I’m really well-known, and that in itself has increased my sexual currency. As well, there’s this weird thing going on where a lot of trans men and cis women want to be seen to not be transmisogynists, and thus try to date me. I’m not kidding. This has happened to me multiple times in the past year, and it always ends with them being unable to have sex with me or leaving me for a cis woman (or both).
Thank you for the additional information :)
I thought it was just Drew (I remember one of you speaking about it at the No More Apologies conference), and I figured what with all the renewed hate against the Cotton Ceiling, I may as well post the methodology which led to it. I didn’t want to throw around any names before confirmation, but, the OP I wrote was referring to Drew and Morgan.
…and here I am over here wondering why I can’t get a date. Oh wait, no…no, I’m not actually wondering at all. :le sigh:
- fibrodiary likes this
- avaprocknow likes this
- sundaesandgirls likes this
- ninjabikeslut likes this
- whoisdangerwoman likes this
- transcendingconsciousness reblogged this from blickblocks
- autie-baeddel-cat likes this
- gointorosedale likes this
- koffor likes this
- kissesandchamomile likes this
- alticamelus likes this
- adrientalks likes this
- cloud-scapes likes this
- allecto likes this
- iammyownmonster reblogged this from toofucktopunk
- iammyownmonster likes this
- searedvisions likes this
- alexisthegray reblogged this from lapetitesirena and added:
- alexisthegray likes this
- lapetitesirena likes this
- ludotomboi likes this
- just-one-mx reblogged this from tranzfat and added:
- thefatnutritionist reblogged this from tranzfat
- thefatnutritionist likes this
- seeme-gonzo likes this
- terrasigillata reblogged this from mossflowers
- mossflowers reblogged this from dumplingbunny
- thevitaes likes this
- circuitsmaximus likes this
- mistletogamis likes this
- discopolice-deactivated reblogged this from impromptuonedykedanceparty
- impromptuonedykedanceparty reblogged this from toofucktopunk
- mossflowers likes this
- essentialwandering likes this
- tablogs likes this
- fieldoflilys likes this
- engenderandendear likes this
- june-meatcleaver likes this
- wholelottadicks likes this
- transsupremacy reblogged this from unobject
- fastfingersian likes this